Thursday, December 18, 2008

'America's Next Top Model' has had eleven cycles...

...and even being seventeen years old is no excuse for having the idea that you can get a job as a model by posting a resume (you know, something that consists of TEXT not PICTURES) on a major job board.

"I'm seventeen years old and a senior in high school. I'm very determined and interested in becoming a model. I don't have experience in the modeling field, however, I am willing to go the extra mile to fulfill my dream. "

Well, go the extra mile and actually do what it takes to fulfill your dreams, like:
  1. TAKE A PHOTOGRAPH.
  2. Put photographs in a place where people who hire models might see them.
  3. And so on.
However, one thing that you should NOT learn from America's Next Top Model is the idea that being "determined and interested in becoming a model" = becoming a model. While that show does include "Wanting It the Most" as a pre-qualification for becoming a regular fashion model, it's probably slightly more important to be a genetic anomaly who is tall, thin, freakishly symmetrical, small-featured, and, you know, generally considered beautiful.

Then again, what do I know? Maybe posting a resume is the secret backdoor to the fashion industry that they've never mentioned in the twenty years of Vogue I've read.

No comments: